Ecoinversión Forestal

The Future of the Environment

Reforestation on the planet

Current situation of the forest masses

The insatiable consumption of wood by a growing world population, and the overflowing exploitation of native forests and jungles to supply this demand, jeopardizes the future of humanity and all species, with an invaluable cost in global warming, health, and food supply,

It is estimated that the world has a forest area close to 3,870 million hectares, of which 95% correspond to natural forests, made up of indigenous forests, the remaining 5% correspond to forest crops. Currently, the demand for wood and biomass is supplied by both natural forests and forest plantations.

In 2015, governments around the world took bold and decisive action by adopting the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (United Nations, 2015), or the 2030 Agenda, as it is often called. Since then, the 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) have become a general framework for sustainable development. The universal and inclusive nature of the 2030 Agenda commits the international community to collaborate to overcome the multiple and complex challenges that the world faces in the 21st century. The 2030 Agenda will serve as a guide for development policies around the world during the next decades.

Industrially cultivated forests generate employment and social welfare, soil recovery, supply the demand for wood with the availability of different qualities and dimensions in industrial quantities, capture CO2, releases oxygen, avoid erosion and sedimentation of water sources, produces bees and honey, and takes advantage of underutilized infrastructures such as trains and railways.

Forest cover in Latin America and the Caribbean continues to decrease. The annual net loss during the 2000-2005 period amounts to 4.7 million hectares, which corresponds to 65% of the world’s net annual loss. Brazil is the country that reports the highest loss of forest cover in the world with 3.1 million hectares annually. However, it must be taken into account that the deforestation data for Brazil and other countries in the region refer to gross deforestation without taking into account that part of the deforested areas has regenerated and become forests again.

The United States and China are the largest consumers of forest products, FAO has released the latest global statistics on the consumption and production of forest products.

In the last 10 years, one out of every three felled trees on the planet has been destined to satisfy the increase in consumption and the transformation industry in China since in this period the Chinese consumption of forest products has increased 450% and Chinese exports 350% of these products. The biggest problem is the illegality that surrounds much of the wood that reaches the Chinese market and ends up both in the country and in the form of cheap furniture or flooring for rich countries.

According to the FAO, every year 8.8 million hectares of forest disappear, an area greater than the state of South Carolina, USA; Between 2000 and 2013, 8% of the primary forests remaining on the planet were diminished, 12% of the greenhouse gases come from deforestation and other changes in land use.

Additionally, bureaucratic, economic, social, logistical, geographic, cultural, and communication problems between governments and communities, make it impossible for indigenous and rural peoples who care for native forests to access carbon credits and incentives for environmental protection. , nor to agricultural financing programs. This situation leads to the burning of ecosystems for the expansion of extensive livestock farming since it is one of the activities that generate profitability in the short and medium-term and guarantees more continuous and available income for its owners.


A great challenge is to harmonize the relationship between the timber industry and industrial reforestation, with the conservation and protection of natural forests and ecosystems, and at the same time reduce production, transportation, transformation, and financing costs, improving the socio-economic environment of the regions, and allowing full traceability and ensuring products with a green certificate